PRAY FOR ME -- PRIEZ POUR MOI -- OREN PARA MI

Visit the prayer log and add your intentions.

Visitez le carnet de prières et ajoutez-y vos intentions. Ici se trouve le lien.

Visiten el cuaderno de oraciones y anoten sus intenciones. Llamenlo clicando aqui.

mercredi 1 juin 2016

VIRGIN MARY AND BIRTH PANGS

God the Creator to Eve: To the woman he said:
I will intensify your toil in childbearing; in pain you shall bring forth children.
                             (Genesis 3;16a)

                            (Luke 2; 35-36)

A few days ago I was asked if Mary suffered pangs of childbirth since she was not tainted by Original sin, per the quote from Genesis, as shown above. My answer was that I can discuss both sides of that question with equal passion.

I must tell you that I am not afraid of my conviction that Mary suffered in life, but I am also well aware of the tradition in the Church stated through the centuries by the early Fathers and Doctors of the Church and the Councils who taught that Jesus came into the world from the Sacred Womb of His Mother as a ray of light passes through glass.  The Magisterium is also firm in its teaching that Mary's virginity is pre-conception and post-partum.  I am therefore presenting you this link so that you can see, up front what the Church has been teaching through the ages and no doubt will continue to teach forever.

I have no reservations about the fact that I have a couple of convictions concerning the human pain that Mary would have suffered despite the fact that she was spared the punishment consequent to the inheritance of the consequences of Original sin.  So, here I go.
1. Starting with a comparison to her son, Jesus.  He suffered, and not just under torture but in the course of real, normal human life. He wept.  He was perturbed at the news of the death of John and of Lazarus. He suffered hunger and thirst.  He suffered from the need to be obedient to His parents.  
If He went through these things, then Mary certainly did too.

2. From the wording in Genesis, we seem to be told by God that the pangs of childbirth would be intensified...therefore, greater than before the fall...so, what existed before the fall would have at least befallen Mary.  Then  think of Jesus saying, "...20Truly, truly, I tell you, you will weep and wail while the world rejoices. You will grieve, but your grief will turn to joy. 21A woman has pain in childbirth because her time has come; but when she brings forth her child, she forgets her anguish because of her joy that a child is born into the world. 22So also you have sorrow now, but I will see you again and your hearts will rejoice, and no one will take away your joy..." (John 16).  
This is a picture of redemptive labor, not punitive pain. 

3. Finally, the Church's position through the ages expresses the understanding of its position as sustaining the permanence of Mary's Viginity.  It doesn't mention the pangs of childbirth just as it doesn't address other forms of pain and suffering in Mary's life.  Mary must have known that her time had come.  Even if the birth of Jesus is just as miraculous as His conception, a little warning pain before the fact doesn't have to be ruled out.  My faith tells me that if Jesus can suffer redemptive pain, then so can Mary.  In fact, in my way of thinking, and in the tradition of the Church, the suffering of pain in prayer can contribute to the cleansing of the soul.  Many saints stand in witness to this truth.

4. Finally, I am a son of Mary at La Salette.  She said, "Come near, my children, be not afraid; I am here to tell you great news. If my people will not submit, I shall be forced to let fall the arm of my Son. It is so strong, so heavy, that I can no longer withhold it. For how long a time do I suffer for you! If I would not have my Son abandon you, I am compelled to pray to him without ceasing; and as to you, you take not heed of it. However much you pray, however much you do, you will never recompense the pains I have taken for you. 

I am therefore convinced that Mary is ever virgin, conceived without sin and is no stranger to pain and suffering.

May God bless us all.






Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Your comment will be read by the blog manager before posting. Some editing may occur for clarity